Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Stem Instant Challenges

Hi! Welcome Back. A bunch of life has happened for me since I last updated. Here is a short list:

  • I am now in my 10th year teaching at St. James Academy
  • This year I am only teaching technology
  • I have started teaching computer science AP classes
  • I fell in love and got married to a sweet dude named Chad
  • We got married and have a sweet little dude named Walter Otis
I'm sure once I start updating more regularly, I will go into detail about all those great things. 

But more importantly, I want to share with you what I have been doing in my technology classes. We have a modified block schedule at SJA, meaning mostly block days with one day where we have all 7 classes. This semester I have made the 7 class days (called C days) STEM Instant Challenge days. I am stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new things with my technology 1 classes

We have had one so far and it was a success!(for our first STEM day) The students were engaged and tried to be successful. We did the Cup Holder challenge (found here). Now, the first hour I did it, I didn't explain the directions well and the creations weren't as creative. 7th hour crushed it and had some really good designs. Not all of the creations were successful and I had a group in each class not have a structure by testing time but they were actively participating. 

Here are the best creations from each hour:
 
Here is what I learned for next time:

  1. Mix up the groups - try to have at least one boy and girl in each group - we naturally think different
  2. Start a tub with supplies for STEM challenges so you don't have to go to Walmart everyday
  3. Students don't need a big reward to want to do well - sometimes a simple smelly sticker gets high schoolers invested
  4. KNOW the directions and how you will rate each creation before starting the challenge
  5. Embrace the noise - that means students are working and collaborating (meaning SUCCESS!)
  6. How do you teach students to think outside of the box? That their first idea is not necessarily the best?




No comments:

Post a Comment